Re: Select and insert multiple bibliography entries into one \cite comma

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Select and insert multiple bibliography entries into one \cite command with regexp search.
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 12:03:03 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 2:07 AM Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> Once you have the regexp, just mark the entries you want with 'm' in
>> that order and hit 'a'.  Does this fit the bill?
>
> Thank you very much for telling me these manipulation details buried
> deep in a huge manual.

You're welcome.  As a note, I think RefTeX manual can be read in a
nonlinear manner.  The Citations chapter is just 4 pages in the .pdf
version.  Most of the input I posted is in the 3rd paragraph.

> Now, I try to check the above directives with `C-c [', but nothing
> happens except that the following message appears in the *Messages*
> buffer:
>
> reftex-offer-bib-menu: No valid bibliography in this document, and no
> default available
>

> I use the following bibliography settings in my LaTeX document:
>
> \bibliographystyle{plainnat}
> %https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/62010/can-i-access-system-environment-variables-from-latex-for-instance-home
> \bibliography{\string~/Documents/bibliograph/better-bibtex/references-bibtex}
>
> And the bib file exists at the corresponding location:
>
> $ ls ~/Documents/bibliograph/better-bibtex/references-bibtex.bib
> /home/werner/Documents/bibliograph/better-bibtex/references-bibtex.bib

Replace

  \bibliography{\string~/Documents/bibliograph/better-bibtex/references-bibtex}

with

\bibliography{/home/werner/Documents/bibliograph/better-bibtex/references-bibtex.bib}

in your .tex file and see if RefTeX finds your .bib file.  Based on your
use case, check RefTeX's possibilities to find files[1] and try one of
them.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/reftex.html#SEC48