Re: Failed to skip from chapter tex file to master pdf file.

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Failed to skip from chapter tex file to master pdf file.
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 22:03:22 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Ubuntu 20.04, I compiled this project:
> <https://gitlab.kwant-project.org/jbweston/thesis>, with xelatex +
> xdvipdfmx via latexmk. When I open the tex master file in Emacs
> integrated with the auctex and pdf-tools, I can skip from the pdf file
> to the corresponding tex source file, but failed vice versa, as shown
> below:
>
> ```
> epdfinfo: Error opening
> /home/werner/Public/hpc/tools/thesis/gitlab.kwant-project.org/jbweston/thesis.git/content/conclusion.pdf:No
> such file or directory

What would be the right filename?  The project looks like thesis.tex is
the master file so I'd assume the pdf would be thesis.pdf and not
conclusion.pdf which is just some included chapter in content/.

> I tried with the following two options, but all failed with the same
> error mentioned above:
>
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
> or
> (setq-default TeX-master 'dwim)
>
> Any hints for solving this problem?

What are your TeX-master values?  It should be t in thesis.tex and
"../thesis" in the sub-files in content/.  From the error above, I'd
guess you've told AUCTeX that conclusion.tex was the master file and
pdf-tools uses the value of TeX-master and thus assumes conclusion.pdf
was the generated pdf.

Bye,
Tassilo