Re: Failed to skip from chapter tex file to master pdf file.

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Failed to skip from chapter tex file to master pdf file.
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:28:43 +0900

Hi Hongyi,

> Hongyi Zhao wrote (Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 01:50:41PM +0800):
>> But, how to let auctex do this trivial job for me automatically?

I recommend you to consult the relevant manual:
https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Multifile.html

,----

`----
,----
|  -- Command: TeX-master-file-ask
|      ('C-c _') Query for the name of a master file and add the
|      respective File Variables (*note (emacs)File Variables::) to the
|      file for setting this variable permanently.
|
|      AUCTeX will not ask for a master file when it encounters existing
|      files.  This function shall give you the possibility to insert the
|      variable manually.
`----

N.B. The web manual falls behind the recent revise of the document and
contains obsolete sentence "If AUCTeX finds the line indicating the end
of the header in a master file (TeX-header-end), it can figure out for
itself that this is a master file.", which isn't true.

> When I open a new .tex file, I'm prompted for the master file. If I provide a
> file name, it's automatically quoted.

More precisely, that occurs when TeX-master is customized to nil, as
described above.

> I don't remember giving auctex any special instructions to achieve
> this.

That's TeX-master-file-ask, bound to C-c _ and available in menu item
LaTeX->Multifile/Parsing ->Set Master File also.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita