Re: [AUCTeX] Spurious newline after folded macros.

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Spurious newline after folded macros.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:37:23 +0200

Hi Juan,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 07:54:13PM +0200, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> I would like to thank you all for investigating this issue. I tried using
> TeX-fold but was prevented from doing so because of the many spurious
> newlines and also because of the overall lag in the resulting buffer. Are
> both related? Could you help me investigate this?

I use TeX-fold extensively (I find it's the only way I can keep my LaTeX
buffers looking sane...) and while it can take some time for a buffer to be
folded, especially on a slow computer (right now I'm using an eight- or
nine-year old netbook with 2GB of RAM and an Atom CPU), typing and editing text
isn't any slower at all, in my experience.

In order to fold new text, though, you shouldn't refold the entire buffer.
There's `tex-fold-paragraph', which I use for that purpose. I even bind it to
`C-RET' to make it easier to type. (`C-c C-o C-p` is a bit cumbersome IMHO). I
also advice the command `LaTeX-insert-item' so that typing `M-RET' to insert a
new "\item" macro automatically folds the preceding "\item".

HTH

Joost