Re: [AUCTeX] Spurious newline after folded macros.

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Spurious newline after folded macros.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:54:38 +0200

Hi all,

On Fri, Mar 23 2018, Joost Kremers wrote:
After the recent AUCTeX update to version 12.1.1 (which I installed just two days ago, due to having been on vacation), I noticed a strange problem with TeX-fold-mode. After a folded macro, there is a spurious newline, i.e., the text is continued on the next line, even though there is no newline in the actual text.

I posted this message about a month ago, but I haven't received any replies. I *really* don't want to be the guy that starts whining when their question goes unanswered on a public mailing list, but this issue happens even with `emacs -Q', so I find it hard to imagine that I'm the only one seeing it...

I just realised that I can examine the contents of the overlay with `C-u C-x =', and so I did, and I found that indeed, the overlay contains an extra "\n". This is for example the overlay on "\textit{Aliquam}" in the screenshots I sent:

#("Aliquam\n" 0 7
 (wrap-prefix "" face
              (font-latex-italic-face)
              fontified t))

I also noticed that sometimes, the newline isn't added, though I haven't been able to figure out what conditions it. I have, for example, an \item in a beamer presentation that shows the problem, but when I make the text of the \item shorter, the problem disappears. (I confirmed that in the former case, the overlay text is "*\n" and in the latter just "*".)

So here's hoping this time around someone may be able to help.
TIA

Joost

The rest of my previous message for completeness' sake:

This screenshot shows the problem:

The LaTeX source contains \textit{Aliquam}, which is folded here, and the next (eget) word is displayed on the next line. If I unfold, you can see the newline isn't actually there:

This was never an issue in previous versions of AUCTeX (I use TeX-fold-mode quite extensively).

The screenshots were taken with `emacs -Q -L ~/.elpa/auctex-12.1.1', Emacs version is 25.3.50.1, compiled from source. (`visual-line-mode' is active in the buffer, but deactivating that doesn't change anything).

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is there a fix / workaround?

TIA

Joost

--
Joost Kremers