Re: [AUCTeX] Fwd: Auctex with Mac

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Fwd: Auctex with Mac
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 03:05:11 -0600

On 11/17/2013 11:03 PM, Max Bigras wrote:

[...]

Some system information:

ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.8.5
BuildVersion:   12F45

Emacs
Version 24.3 (9.0)

AUCTeX-version is a variable defined in `tex-site.el'.
Its value is "11.87"

There's two things that I've tried. First, installing auctex
interactively from within emacs as recommended:

M-x package-list-packages RET

On the surface things seem to be working as expected:

[...]

You can't see it in the code, but on my emacs screen the syntax
highlighting is working, and the auctex icons are visible.

[...]

C-c C-c

I get the following message:

LaTeX: problems after [0] pages

What happens if you launch Emacs from the Terminal? I haven't used Mac OS in a while, but I guess something like this

    open -a /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/...

down to the binary emacs.

With that, Emacs will inherit the Terminal PATH. (Of course, with ` which tex ' in Terminal you should get something like ` /usr/texbin/tex ' for the above to work.)

[...]

Second, without uninstalling or removing auctex (which I suspect could
have to do with something but I'm not sure as we'll see later) I found
the webpage: [...]
That recommends building from source:

I think ELPA packages (which reside in your invisible directory .emacs.d in your Home directory) take precedence.

Best

Axel