Re: [AUCTeX] Fwd: Auctex with Mac

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Fwd: Auctex with Mac
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:28:52 +0100

Max Bigras <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Max,

> C-c C-c
>
> I get the following message:
>
> LaTeX: problems after [0] pages

When you get this, hit C-c C-l to switch to the output buffer and post
its contents here.  Probably, that will contain some indication about
the error.

Usually, problems after [0] pages mean that you're missing a command
that AUCTeX wants to execute or something serious like that.  So Alex's
hint that it might be a PATH issue sounds likely.

> That recommends building from source:
>
> *) ./configure --with-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
> --disable-preview
> --with-lispdir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/
> *) make
> *) sudo make install
>
> Then add these lines to your .emacs file
>
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'visual-line-mode)
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-math-mode)
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)
> (setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
>
> Something that makes me think this installation was successful is the
> source I downloaded is for version 11.87 and thats the version of
> auctex that I'm currently running. However, the same behavior
> continues, basically none of the compiling or viewing functionality
> seems to be working.

I guess it suffers the same problem as the ELPA package.

> Another thing, from reading around it seems like you also need the
> preview-latex.el package, when including it in my .emacs file
>
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>
> I get an error so I'm pretty sure that package isn't installed
> properly.

You explicitly disabled preview at the configure call above:
--disable-preview.  Omit that option, then you should be able to load
preview-latex.el after installing.

(I don't know if preview works on OSX.)

> Also its possible that I haven't installed ghost script but I'm not
> sure how to check.

Open a terminal and check if running `rungs` or `gs` works.  (I think
MacTeX is the Mac version of TeXLive, right?)

Bye,
Tassilo