Re: [AUCTeX] emacs24 from debian unstable

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] emacs24 from debian unstable
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:52:12 +0200

Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> I am on debian testing in general.  I just installed emacs24 from
> unstable.  With this emacs24, the auctex from debian testing is
> rendered unusable.
>
> I get
>     byte-code: Symbol's value as variable is void:
> dbus-message-type-method-call
> when I do M-x latex-mode

Hm, I guess that emacs is compiled with --without-dbus, and when AUCTeX
requires dbus.el the error is triggered.  I've added Michael to the
discussion.  He's the Emacs/DBUS expert.

Michael, what's the proper way to check if DBUS support is available?
Currently, in AUCTeX I'm using

  (and (not (featurep 'xemacs)) ; XEmacs 21.4 has no `require' with
                                ; arity 3, and no dbus support anyway.
       (require 'dbus nil :no-error)
       (functionp 'dbus-register-signal)
       (getenv "DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"))

I guess I should at least add a (boundp 'dbus-message-type-method-call)
to check for something on the C level as well?  (I think,
`dbus-register-signal' used to be on the C level some time back...)

Or maybe it would be better to have a function `dbus-available-p' in
dbus.el that does whatever checks are needed to determine if DBUS is
really usable?

Bye,
Tassilo