Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required

From: Jaap Eldering
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 20:23:15 +0200

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 05:18:32PM +0000, Per Eriksson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This can be accomplished with a simple Makefile where you just set up
> make to run latex and bibtex twice to for example produce a .ps and open
> that in ghostview, or any other files/combonations you might want.
>
> /Per
>
> 6 augusti 2010 kl. 17.13 skrev Ista Zahn:
>
>> Over the years I have tried to accomplish this using rubber, latexmk
>> and texi2dvi. texi2dvi is the winner in my book. It is (subjectively)
>> both reliable and fast. I believe it ships with TeXlive, not sure
>> about MikTeX or other distributions.
>>
>> -Ista

Thanks for the suggestions: I've tried simple Makefile rules and
latexmk myself in the past. They do sort-of work, but I found each
method lacking in some aspect. Simple makefile rules require one to
always run the full latex-bibtex-latex-latex run, which takes too long
to wait for when writing a document and generating output every minute
or so; it also misses dependency tracking for included files. Latexmk
indeed is more powerful, but I recall it being too much work to setup
for each simple document.

I'm asking here, because I find AUCTeX's features in this respect
best, but I noticed this missing feature.

I will have a look at the suggestion of texidvi; I didn't know that
program.

Jaap