Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required

From: Jaap Eldering
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Automatically run LaTeX/BibTeX as required
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 13:46:48 +0200

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:59:55PM +0200, Dirk Van Hertem wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 12:47 PM, Jaap Eldering wrote:

>>> I think you're looking for "texify" which will do the required runs of LaTeX
>>> and BibTeX to get references and cross-references right.
>>>
>>> I've included the following in my .emacs file, which makes the texify
>>> command available. You can then press C-c C-c in your latex file and select
>>> either Texify (to get a dvi file) or TexifyPDF (to get a pdf file).
>>>
>> Hmm... I'm not quite sure I follow you: 'texify' should be a
>> commandline tool, right? I do not have that available (should it ship
>> with AucTeX?) nor can I find such a program by a quick search on the
>> internet. (Only a perl script 'texify' that transforms programming
>> code into formatted TeX, but that's not it, I guess.)
>>
>> Adding the code below to my .emacs allows me to run these commands via
>> C-c C-c, but doesn't do anything (it also doesn't give an error that
>> 'texify' is not available).
>
> The program that can be used is rubber (
>
> $ apt-cache show rubber
>  This is a building system for LaTeX documents. It is based on a routine
> that
>  runs just as many compilations as necessary. The module system provides a
>  great flexibility that virtually allows support for any package with no
> user
>  intervention, as well as pre- and post-processing of the document. The
>  standard modules currently provide support for bibtex, dvips, dvipdfm,
>  pdftex, makeindex. A good number of standard packages are supported,
>  including graphics/graphicx with automatic conversion between various
>  graphics formats and Metapost compilation.
> Homepage: http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~beffara/soft/rubber/
>
> I have been able to add it to my emacs config a few years ago, but I
> don't have it anymore. Should not be too difficult though.
>
>>> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
>>>        (lambda ()
>>>          (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>>>               '("Texify" "texify -b %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode) :help
>>> "Texify document to dvi (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)
>>>          (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>>>               '("TexifyPDF" "texify -b -p %t" TeX-run-command t (latex-mode)
>>> :help "Texify document to pdf (resolves all cross-references, etc.)") t)
>>>          ))
>>>

> Replacing textify with rubber should do the trick?

Thanks, installed rubber and it works.

I'll still have a look at the TeX-command-list and related options: it
would be nice if this command could be set to replace the default
LaTeX option, automatically select dvi/pdf output depending on AUCTeX
setting and that AUCTeX correctly parses TeX errors if found.

I've looked for automatic latex commands in the past, but do not
recall finding rubber at that time, only a few scripts/Makefile
snippets.

Jaap