Re: [AUCTeX] problem with non-white background in Emacs

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] problem with non-white background in Emacs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:18:37 +0200

* Darren Hoo (2010-07-09) writes:

>    I use auctex with xelatex which can only output pdf,I have
> problem because I  use a non-white (black) background in Emacs
> The color of the text is also black in the images created
> I have tried  changing the color of the preview background
> but it has no effect.
>
> this is my settings:
>  (setq preview-transparent-border 2.5)
>  (setq preview-transparent-color  '(highlight :foreground))
>
> for example  the output of $ \lnot \forall xP(x)  \exists x \lnot P(x) $
> is as the image in the attachment.

I can reproduce this by starting Emacs with

$ emacs -bg gray12 -fg gray66 file.tex

and a file like this:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
foo $1+1=2$ bar
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% TeX-engine: xetex
%%% End:

As far as I can see the foreground color is set during the conversion
from PDF to PNG with Ghostscript.  There is a special string inserted
into `preview-gs-init-string' which is produced in
`preview-pdf-color-string'.  For the example above it looks like this:

"/GS_PDF_ProcSet GS_PDF_ProcSet dup maxlength dict copy dup
begin/graphicsbeginpage{//graphicsbeginpage exec 0.658824 0.658824 0.658824 3
copy rg RG}bind store end readonly store "

This works in TeX PDF mode for regular LaTeX but not for XeLaTeX.
Unfortunately an internet search regarding this stuff has brought up
very little information, so I am not sure where to look for next.