Re: [AUCTeX] automatic insertion of labels

From: David Romano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] automatic insertion of labels
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:19:21 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Ralf Angeli wrote:

* David Romano (2010-02-24) writes:

Two questions, really:

1) When I use TeX-insert-macro to insert "\label", I get the message
"Symbol's function definition is void: nil" instead of being prompted for
an argument.  Is this normal?  How can I change this so that I am prompted
for an argument?

I cannot reproduce this with
emacs -Q -l auctex file.tex

Perhaps you could provide a full bug report with `M-x
TeX-submit-bug-report <RET>' which should contain a recipe for
reproducing the problem; ideally with Emacs started as shown above.

I submitted a bug report only to learn soon after that the problem was in the file I was collaborating on. A new section command was introduced that apparently interefered with creating label within that section. I'd like to cancel the bug report, but am not sure how.

2) Is is possible to have labels automatically inserted for theorem-like
environments the way they can be for equation-like environments?  I
haven't been able to find out what the corresponding variables might be.

Could it be that you haven't discovered RefTeX yet?
(info "(reftex)Top") <-- Type `C-x C-e' here.

I've spent some time with the AUCTeX and RefTeX manuals, and can't seem to make any progress with this. I've changed the RefTeX label alist to include some theorem-like environments, and C-c C-m \label works fine, but the labels are not being generated automatically when I use C-c C-e. Section and equation labels, however, are still being generated automatically with either C-c C-s or C-c C-e. Have I missed a variable that needs changing?

Thanks,
David Romano