Re: [AUCTeX] is it possible to insert such a symbol?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] is it possible to insert such a symbol?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:21:07 +0200

* peng shao (2009-04-23) writes:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> * peng shao (2009-04-22) writes:
>>
>> > $your cursor here$<++>
>> > and by pressing ctrl+j you can move your cursor to the position <++>.
>>
>> How is this used?  Is the idea that point is first put inside the dollar
>> signs for editing math and then typing C-j or C-TAB respectively to jump
>> out of it for continuing editing subsequent text?
[...]
> Thank you very much for your reply, yes what I desired is exactly the
> function as you mentioned. I like this function because sometimes I
> need to insert a complicated formula frequently, and in this formula
> there are many coefficients to be completed. So such function makes me
> jump from the position of one coefficient to another easily.

I'm still not sure I understand correctly.  Do you mean you are writing
text like the following (taken from circ.tex) and then want to jump from
one $...$ construct to the next?

| Der Wert $y$ läßt sich darstellen als Summe einer ganzen Zahl $e$ und
| einem Wert $f$ mit $-0.5 \leq f < 0.5$. Der Wertebereich von $f$ ist
| so gewählt worden, damit $e$ einen auf ganze Zahlen gerundeten Wert
| für $y$ darstellt.

In such a text it would probably be better to just type e.g. `$ y $'
instead of `$ $ <back> y <forward>'.  For longer constructs (like the
one in the second line it might make more sense to insert both dollar
signs first in order to prevent color bleed from fontification.
However, if you write the stuff within $...$ you'll likely end up with
point at the end of the construct (just before the closing $ and then a
jump point right after the $ won't help you much.  So I'm still a bit
confused about how this would help.

It's a bit of a pity that $...$ is not a parenthetical construct because
if it were you could jump to its end with `C-c }' (aka `up-list').  But
you could manually set a mark at the end of the $...$ construct with
`C-SPC' and then jump to the position of the mark with `C-x C-x' when
you are done editing your math.