Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:09:27 -0400

>> Side note: an AUCTeX installed with `package.el` behaves very similarly
>> except the autoloads file is called `auctex-autoloads.el` instead of
>> `loaddefs.el` and that this file takes care of the `add-to-list`, so
>> users just need to
>>
>>     (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/auctex-autoloads")
>
> Thanks, but in which scenario do users have to use the form above?

I use it with `emacs -Q ...` when I want to try and isolate a problem.

> I thought when AUCTeX is installed via package.el, say with regular
> updates or `package-install-from-archive', `package-initialize' and some
> such would do the job.

Indeed, usually `package-activate(-all)` performs those `load`s for the user.
I was just pointing out that there's a pre-existing and very similar
"convention" and that convention is slightly simpler for the users, so
if it's not too cumbersome it might be worth following that convention
(it's not very important, tho, so it's really up to the maintainers).

> Side question: Is it possible to achieve something similar for the setup
> above, i.e., running AUCTeX directly from the clone?  This looks really
> ugly to me:
>
>   (load "~/Repos/el/auctex/loaddefs.el" nil t t)

Not sure what you mean by "similar" since what you here describe as ugly
is almost identical.  I think I'm misunderstanding something.

        Stefan