Re: how to add a new pdf viewer?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: how to add a new pdf viewer?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 18:40:42 +0200

>>> "DK" == David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Does /snap/evince/current/usr/libexec/evinced actually work or exit
>>> with error? And if so, is the evince demon accessible via DBUS? You
>>> can check using d-feet.
>>

>> Oh, sh....
>> I am an idiot:
>>
>> /snap/evince/current/usr/libexec/evinced
>> /snap/evince/current/usr/libexec/evinced:
>> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found
>> (required by /snap/evince/current/usr/libexec/evinced)
>>

>> End of game. My Ubuntu version is simply too old.

> Huh.  I thought the idea behind snap packages was that they packaged
> their library dependencies or something in order not to rely on the host
> system details as much.  Maybe there is a particular way in which one
> needs to call the binary or set up its environment?

Well that is what I thought. And before Tassilo suggested to try
/snap/evince/current/usr/libexec/evinced

I even installed the snap version of emacs (without success)

I am thinking of trying to install via snap the glib library but I
hesitate, since the last thing I want is now to screw up my Ubuntu
installation at least not for the coming 2 weeks.

I googled a bit and found that
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/2031259

So I presume there is a bug of sorts.

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.