Re: how to add a new pdf viewer?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: how to add a new pdf viewer?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:07:09 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

Hi Uwe,

> TeX-view-program-list is a variable defined in ‘tex.el’.
>
> Its value is
> (("Evince44"
>   ("TeX-evince-sync-view")
>   "/usr/local/bin/evince"))

I don't know why that works but apparently it seems to call the
TeX-evince-sync-view command although you've specified it here as a
string rather than a symbol/function.  This function communicates with
the evince DBUS interface and never runs some executable.  I have no
clue which version of evince that is (well, apparently the old one).
Neither do I know how to change that.  The third part of your entry,
i.e., the "/usr/local/bin/evince", is only used to check if that entry
is available on your system.

> *Rationale* I just found out that more recent versions of evince
> display links as pop-up menus which is very very useful (Skim has this
> for Mac, but the new evince version seems even better) Since my Ubuntu
> is quite old, I could only install the new evince-44 via snap
>
> So the old (Original Ubuntu version) evince version is in
>
>  /usr/bin/evince
>
> And the new one on
>
> /snap/bin/evince
>
> So I decided  to set a symbolic link from
> /snap/bin/evince to /usr/local/bin/evince.
>
> And as I said above it works.

Well, kind of.  You have to figure out how that never evince version
serves the org.gnome.evince.Daemon service.  Right now, that seems to be
served by the old version.

So basically, you somehow have to configure somehow that the
org.gnome.evince.Daemon DBUS service is provided by the new version
rather than the old version.  Again, I have no clue where that's
defined.  Maybe it's hard-wired in some foundational Gnome lib, i.e.,
Gnome 40 uses the corresponding evince version.

> BTW there seems no possibility to configure evince that it uses
> emacsclient, to jump from the pdf to the source file. I have to use
> okular for this and this is why I have also

Yes, Okular supports only Editor->Okular sync via command line arguments
whereas Evince supports both directions via DBUS but doesn't seem to
have a command line option for syncing with the editor position.

Bye,
Tassilo