aspell-user

Language info: Danish

From: Asger Alstrup Nielsen
Subject: Language info: Danish
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:06:58 +0100

>1) Reading over http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/aspell/international/ and
>letting me know I am overlooking anything.

Regarding the encoding conversion, I have just implemented a generic framework
for doing this in LyX.  Check the "encoding/"
directory in the lyx cvs repository.  It's ready to get used in other projects.
I have implemented conversions to and from Unicode to and from ISO-8859-X,
where X is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 14 and 15.  There
is also a design document in development/lyx that describes how LyX will solve
the wide character problem.
It might be interesting to you.
You can find these files using the LyX CVS web interface at http://lyx.org.
(Notice that the latest converters have not been commited yet, but will be
within a couple of days.)

>a) What 8-bit character sets are typically used for your language and
>any shortcomings those character sets may have.

Danish is ISO-8859-1, although other encodings have the sufficient characters.

>b) What letters are vowels in your language

a e i o u y æ ø å

-

>d) Additional considerations that should be taken into account for spell
>checking your language such as allowing run together words.

Allow run together words per default.  Also, optionally allow run-together
words with an "s" in between the words.

>f) Links to word lists for you language and a critique of how good you
>think they are.

The ispell Danish dictionary is good quality.

>g) Any LGPL or weaker code for converting words in your language to
>there sound like or phoneme equivalent. Good soundlike code will allow
>similar sounding words to have the same mapping such as dog and dig.
>Good phoneme code will map a word into how it really sounds.

Don't know of any.

Greets,

Asger Alstrup