adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Wiki namespace (was Maps)

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Wiki namespace (was Maps)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:28:47 +0200

On 5/21/05, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am continuing the namespace discussion with a suggested namespace
> design for the plot and gameworld data. The following are illustrative
> examples.

Looks good to me :-).

> I started the new thread because there are places where the namespaces
> seem to collide in such a way that I'm not sure how best to organize
> the information. Quests are the main conundrum for me. They could be
> organized in their own namespace, or associated with the person, place
> or item that triggers the quest.

Hm ... keeping them in their own namespace seems to be the best idea
to me. That way, all quests are kept in the same place and not
scattered across characters, items or places. They can (and should)
still be linked from the description page of that character, item or
place.

> Another conundrum is how to wikinize (to organize information for
> inclusion in a wiki) the various classes and prestige classes, since
> the base classes are available to all characters of all races, but
> most prestige classes are probably racially constrained.

Don't know if that can be easily done with namespaces. Having all
class description sharing the same namespace doesn't seem badly
organized to me. The information, what race may chose a certain class
will be in the description (and I imagine there will be some sort of
matrix or TOC where all that can be seen at a glance). Much like
http://endor.hsutx.edu/~cptlogic/adonthell/plotweb/grendal/classes/classes.html

> For lack of a better idea, I am just going to propose, but not
> implement an example of a quest namespace:
>
> Quest:
> Quest:Main
> Quest:Subquest:
> Quest:Sidequest:

Shouldn't we add the game the quest is meant for as well. I.e

Quest:DB;
Quest:DB:Main
Quest:DB:Subquest:
Quest:DB:Sidequest:

Otherwise it looks good (although I'm not sure what the difference
between sub- and sidequests would be).

Kai