[Adonthell-devel] Old Waste's Edge player sprite

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Old Waste's Edge player sprite
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:42:04 +0200

Hi and welcome!

As promised, here are the frames of the old player sprite. I've also
attached a second character, Jelom, a guard, who's probably closest to
a knight amongst the whole lot:
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Characters:Wastes_Edge

In principle, the new sprites are about 40x80 in size, although the
actual size will depend a bit upon their race, sex and age. In
general, Elves and Half-Elves are taller, Humans average and Dwarves
are probably not bigger than 40x60. A detailed breakdown of the 4
races and their specific properties can be found here for your
inspiration: http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Library:Races

So following in that style, the player character, as secretary of a
noble Elf, will have to be quite stylish and well-dressed.

All in all, we probably won't really go for "archetypical" characters
such as a knight or wizard. The plot and gameworld are more located at
the lower end of the social spectrum, so a lot of the NPCs will be
ordinary people (merchants, workers, peasants, bandits, guards, monks,
etc). The whole setting is kind of low-magical too, in the sense that
for ordinary humans (which are the majority), magic and exotic
creatures are stuff out of fairy tales and nothing they expect to see
in real life. It's still there in the world, however, and in Dun
Barethsol we'll meet spirits, witches, even an actual (baby) dragon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/james_nash/3850122558/

In the same sense, individual characters might be capable of magic or
good at fighting, but usually the will not look like a mage or knight.
Hope that doesn't sound too strange to you :-).

Anyway, let me (or the list) know if you have questions. We're open
for suggestions too. Especially regarding the character sprites, of
course :-)

Kai

P.S: I'll be in IRC if you'd like to chat. Also happy to walk you
through setting up the bleeding edge, so you can try what's there of
the remake, have a look at the tools and such.