Re: [Adonthell-devel] More build problems

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] More build problems
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:11:01 -0800

On 1/10/07, Jeff Shipley <address@hidden> wrote:

Great, so I should be able to take a look at how the map engine is currently
working and read the stuff on the planned improvements to it.  I'll let you
know how it goes with that.

Here's the mapengine task from the Wiki, in case it's down again by
the time you want to look at it. Especially the links in the Reference
section should be of interest. Not sure how relevant everything still
is today, but that covers what we thought about it a couple of years
ago (time really passes quickly these days).

Also not that present graphics and animation implementation is a bit
different from what we had in v0.3. The old one was basically a custom
format based on pnm with some additional information in the same file.
Now we use standard png with additional information kept in an
accompanying xml file. So if you want to work from Alex' code that's
linked in the task, that is something to take into account as well as
the fact that everything is much more modular now than it used to be
in the v0.3 era.

Anyway, feel free to post your comments once you had a chance to look
at the stuff. If you'd rather come up with your own design ideas,
that's okay too.

Kai

P.S. If the Wiki continues to be unreliable, I could send you the
latest database dump, so you could set it up locally on your box.
Basically just needs apache with php and mysql to run. Just let me
know if that would help.

Tasks:Mapengine

From Adonthell

Back to Task List

[edit]

Overview

The mapengine is responsible for providing a model of the game world, including the environment, locations of characters and items. This data is kept in files and must be loaded and saved at need.

The map engine data is visualized by the Map View.

[edit]

Dependencies

[edit]

Requirements

The mapengine needs the following features:

[edit]