Re: [Adonthell-devel] backend handling

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] backend handling
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 16:20:16 -0700

On 10/9/06, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:

> If we implement the second, we still might be able to do the same on a
> per engine part basis.

I think the right place for that is the configuration file.

Sounds good to me. It would sort of fit with the current way of module
initialization. A few months back I have added a setup() method to
each module that seemed a canditate for requiring config parameters.
This is called before init() and gets a reference to the
configuration.

So each relevant module already has access to the configuration. What
remains is getting the module specific backend from it during init().
If not present, it could use the backend passed to init() directly as
a fallback. In that case, using "sdl" as the default would make sense
indeed.

Makes the -b parameter quite useless, however (nothing to be really
sad about, though).

we just need to allow the user to switch backends through a
configuration menu).

No big deal once we have a window system ;-). Joel?

Somewhat related to the whole topic of backends: I am wondering
whether it would be possible to switch them on the fly, without
restarting the application. That would be a feat! :-)

Kai (making sure it's going to the list ;-))