Re: [Adonthell-devel] Windows fullscreen mode

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Windows fullscreen mode
Date: 04 May 2002 22:34:37 +0200

> Okay, I tested under Win95 in 16bpp mode. The good news is, it does
> switch to fullscreen. The bad news is, it still does not work properly.
>
> In doublesize mode, it enters fullscreen, then quits. In normal mode it
> plays the music and I can obviously select entries from the game menu,
> but the screen stays black. And my monitor claims it is set to 640x480.
>
> Another thing is that both stdout and stderr.txt contained absolutely
> nothing. When I deleted them, they were recreated, but empty.

Hum... Look at what I've found in SDL doc:

If you use both sound and video in your application, you need to call
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO | SDL_INIT_VIDEO) before opening the sound
device, otherwise under Win32 DirectX, you won't be able to set
full-screen display modes.

Not what we are doing, isn't it? Worse, I've figured out that there is
no call to SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO) in our code!

Expect some new Windows tests soon - though you still can test the
current one, especially if you can get output! :)

Fortunately, it turns out that once problems are solved under Windows,
they are solved on all platforms - this is another reason for having a
working Windows port! :p

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org