Re: [Adonthell-devel] Interesting link about Ogg Vorbis looping

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Interesting link about Ogg Vorbis looping
Date: 24 Apr 2002 12:06:22 +0200

> That's more or less what we did, and it didn't work well. Made all kinds
> of popping noises at the loop points and was really awkward.

Ah. So bad, as the guy seemed to say it was working. Maybe we could give
it another try. I remember that when I worked a bit on the problem I
managed to get a perfect result in terms of looping, but you couldn't do
it anywhere. And seing the state of audio_loop.cc, I'd advice we restart
it from scratch ;)

> > The idea is this: you have 3 vorbis streams (in a single file.
> > Creating this can be as easy as "cat intro.ogg main.ogg outro.ogg >
> > full.ogg").
> >
> > Then, you just play through - when you hit EOS (end of stream, _not_
> > end of file), you can then make a decision - either loop back to the
> > start(normally), or continue on (when you want to go from intro->main,
> > or main->outro).
> >
> > In some ways this is more complex, but in other ways it's a more
> > natural fit to your problem. There's no substantial advantage either
> > way.

I've seen this one too. Errr, it sounds quite dirty to me. And if you
can do that way, what would prevent you from doing the other way, which
is almost the same?

> You don't ask me to work at the audio system once more? ;)

Oh no, no :) We all have enough to work on for now - it's just to keep a
trace of it :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org