Re: [Adonthell-devel] Returned from hell, and see what I found ...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Returned from hell, and see what I found ...
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:54:52 +0200

On 12 Apr 2002 11:11:12 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Actually, I'm playing with the
> > thought of installing VC++ once again, and certainly some sort of
> > email client, so I don't need to reboot every other minute and do
> > some extented testing tomorrow.
>
> That's nice of you :)

This afternoon I entered into the hell that is VC++ 5 and after a
lengthy battle with the devil I figured out what was wrong. Lets see if
you can you guess what was wrong?

Hint #1

It took exactly 2 additional letters to get stuff running.

Hint #2

Those letters had to be added to fileops.cc

Do you know it yet? :)

Hint #3

The two letters are "b6"

Now it should be obvious, isn't it?

Now that I found the problem, I dimly remember that windows does
distinguish between binary and text files. As the image is a binary
file, you must say so, as windows is too stupid to figure it out by
itself (probably unlike wine, which uses the underlying linux libc). So
after opening the file in binary mode, the wintest2 app worked and I
assume that everything else will work as well now. :)

The fix is in CVS. Now you might want to recreate your old test binaries
with the cross compiler to test them. I didn't want to go through
getting everything to work with VC. I might try it out with mingw32.