Re: [Adonthell-devel] Partly merging v0.4 back

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Partly merging v0.4 back
Date: 05 Apr 2002 21:50:47 +0200

> Once I'll have the new dialogue engine working in the v0.3 branch and
> the data in sync (dialogues need recompiling, other scripts need their
> strings marked for i18n, etc.) I'll commit the stuff, but not earlier.

Nice to see we'll merge some stuff back!

> That's just to keep you informed. The actual reason for this mail is to
> rant about merging the branch back ;). It wasn't that awful after all
> (just 2 conflicts), but we'll have to be careful later on. As I've only
> merged dlgedit and the root directory with po and intl subdirs, it gets
> tricky. Reason is, if you merge the complete branch later on, all those
> files I merged back now will conflict! Therefore, I tagged the branch
> (road_to_0-4-1). Once we merge everything, part of the source tree has
> to be merged with the complete branch, whereas other parts should be
> merged with everything that comes after the road_to_0-4-1 tag to avoid
> conflicts. Confused yet?

Totally! :) But after reading the chapter you advice to, it gets better.
This is quite a boring problem. But couldn't it be avoided if we follow
this scenario:
You commit the new dialog engine, and unless ALL the 0.4 branch is
merged, changes first occurs in THIS branch before being merged with the
main one. That way, merges are only unilateral, and we shouldn't fear
such conflicts... should we? I find the additionnal branch tip more
confusing than solving conflicts by hand! :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org