Re: [Adonthell-devel] First step for modules creation

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] First step for modules creation
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:11:55 +0100

On 16 Mar 2002 18:26:52 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> I've cut our huge libadonthell.a in smaller libs that should reflect
> the directory/namespace structure we will adopt in the near future. Of
> course, this is only a first draft - actually I'm waiting for you guys
> to have a look at Makefile.am and improve a bit the structure. I fear
> I might have made too many libs.

No, not at all! The structure itself is pretty good as well. You can't
really split things any further, and neither can you merge anything.

> -adonthell is... what remained ;) this includes the old input system,
> that I'll probably wipe out anyway.

Perhaps, as what remains isn't really required by anything else, we
could add those files directly to the adonthell target instead of making
another library first.

> Don't know where to put the dialog system. Is it worth to create a
> subdirectory and namespace for it? Should it be a part of a larger
> module, related to role playing? More generally, what is our policy
> for these modules? What should make something go into a module and not
> another?

It doesn't deserve a module of it's own, that's for sure. A generic
roleplaying module seems sensible. That could contain character_base and
item_base as well. All of that is mainly done on Python side, so there
wouldn't be many C++ classes. Making a seperate module for each of those
seems to be a bit too much after all.

But for now I wouldn't worry about this and leave it aside. If more
files accumulate that fit into a special module, we can still create it
later.

In general, I guess the fact how generic (or large) something is
determines whether it gets a module of it's own. If something consists
of a file or two and isn't really needed by anything else, it shouldn't
be included in a module.