Re: [Adonthell-devel] I18n stuff committed

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I18n stuff committed
Date: 16 Mar 2002 22:23:17 +0100

> The first one is meant to contain the catalog files. Of course, the
> engine won't need this, but the gettext configure macros are not happy
> without it. And who knows, maybe we want to translate the engine's error
> messages one day ;).

That will be a short one then: Just need to translate "Segmentation
fault" ;)

> The second contains libintl. This is everything we need to use gettext,
> so on systems without GNU gettext, libintl will be build and linked to
> Adonthell. I haven't tested if that really works, maybe some changes to
> configure.in or some Makefiles has to be made.

Is it mandatory? It is taking 350Kb from what I see. Of course, that's
not very serious, but as it is only needed for compilation, maybe we
could do without it. But if the standard behavior is to include it with
the sources, then let it be.

> I also found that some characters don't display properly, like the
> German 'ä', 'ö' or 'ü'. Maybe the problem is that I'm using a fantasy
> locale at the moment. I'll correct that of course.

I think dlgedit use a fixed charset instead of using the locales one.
Accentuated characters "é", "è" doesn't work neither in the load file
window for example, while they pass perfectly with other GTK apps. The
little dlgedit bubbles are working, however. But German characters work
nowhere.

> Sounds complicated? Maybe I just didn't explain it very well ;). I will
> write some documentation on this whole topic one of these days, as I
> read plenty about the whole translation process during the last few
> days.

Not complicated actually - most of the work (generating templates and so
on) can be automated by the building procedure. Then taking a .pot file
and translating it is very easy - either with Emacs or Kbabel, for those
who don't like keyboard shortcuts ;)

> One last thing: I really hope I haven't forgotten to add something to
> the CVS. Please tell me if something appears to be missing. (And be sure
> to update with the -d option to get the new directories.)

Everything works flawlessly!

> Any further thoughts, comments and flames welcome!

You did a great job once again. Translating in any language will really
be a piece of cake. And with the use of true type fonts and unicode,
even exotic languages will be perfectly translatable. Here's my
contribution: the French .mo file! Enjoy! ;)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org