Re: [Adonthell-devel] Error running Adonthell

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Error running Adonthell
Date: 06 Mar 2002 21:25:33 +0100

> > If you are running it via VNC, this is all normal I'd say ;)
>
> Eh. Not really. It runs at full speed (smoothly) up until the mapengine
> starts; that is, it gets really slow right when the opening cutscene is
> done.

D'you mean that it's MY code that is slow?? ^_^

Well, this surprises me. The map engine isn't much more gfx-intensive
than the intro sequence. I see two reasons for this:
-VNC has a wise handling of screen updates, and so doesn't update much
during the intro,
-Blits are performed synchronously. This means that contrary to what it
should be, each blit is transfered via the network. As there are many
more blits (even though the area covered is the same) in the map engine,
this could overload the network. Maybe it's the translucency effects
that cause the slowdown (got to fetch pixel's values via the network?)

Could you check after closing Talan's dialog, and also in front of your
Celeron? I really can't believe it renders 1fps on a Celeron 300.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org