[Adonthell-artwork] Flooring...

From: James Nash
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Flooring...
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:28:24 -0500

Hi everyone!
Sorry it's been so long since I last wrote to the list. Explanations
and apologies are in my last dev diary entry.

I recently designed a few textures for different kinds of tiled
flooring. Some are still only on paper and probably won't get scanned
until after my exams. I did however make a simple one in Gimp the other
day. I have attached  variations for your viewing pleasure!

Although they are technically perfectly usable as they are I plan to
change them a bit. Right now each image has one big tile in the middle
and bits of the 8 adjacent tiles. I will change this to just one big
tile per image (well, one big tile a quarter of those little diamond-
shaped tiles in each corner (I guess that means these will always need
to be the same colour, but that doesn't matter too much)). Assuming
that there will be some kind of 'fill' toll in the mapeditor placing
these individual tiles shouldn't be a hassle. It will however allow
greater flexibility with floor desings.

You will still be able to create chess board patterns like the 'd'-
variation using 2 different colours of tile (might require a slightly
more advanced 'fill' tool for the editior....) but transitions from one
kind (or pattern) of tiles to another will be easier and again more
flexible. This is because you won't need a special set of images to
make the various transitions from one kind of tile to another like you
would need with the current images.

If you're confused then don't worry! I'm trying to describe something
really simple here in words that is probably a lot easier to explain in
images. If I can get to a linux box with Gimp tomorrow I'll fix the
images and make some demo fake-shots to show you what I mean.

I also want to make a few simple textures like earth, sand, pebbles
etc...

For now enjoy what almost became the first 0.4 in-game gfx! :P

        -James

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image