ada-mode-users

Re: Creating tarballs for ada-mode and wisi from the git repository?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Creating tarballs for ada-mode and wisi from the git repository?
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 10:39:13 -0800

Ludovic Brenta <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you clarify why the emacs wisi package requires Ada sources?
> AFAICT, Ada is needed only for the parser, which is in the ada-mode
> package only?

Wisitoken is a general purpose parser; it can be used for any language.

The ELPA wisi package provides elisp code to provide indentation,
font-lock, and navigation facilities using a parser, and the subset of the
wisitoken Ada code to implement the language-independent part of that;
the parser generator, the parser runtime with error correction and
indentation, font-lock, and navigation actions to add in a language
grammar.

The ELPA wisi package also provides integration with Emacs project.el
and xref.el, with dispatching for language-specific parts.

The ELPA ada-mode package provides the Ada grammar definition file, and Ada
code implementing the Ada-specific parts of the grammar actions.

The ELPA ada-mode package also provides the GPR-specific things for gpr-mode.

The ELPA wisitoken-grammar-mode package provides the WY-specific things
for wisitoken-grammar-mode (for editing wisitoken *.wy files).

I have unpublished Java and Python modes that use wisi. It turns out
Java is not well suited to LR parsing, at least using the grammar from
the language reference directly. I don't know what the Oracle
parser does. Eventually I hope other language modes will use wisi.

--
-- Stephe