xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] Questions about xnee, particularly speed

From: Henrik Sandklef (GNU)
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] Questions about xnee, particularly speed
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:19:37 +0100 (CET)

> (Aside: I've been having trouble subscribing
When did you try to subscribe?
What email adress did you use (the above I assume!)?

> to and
> sending messages to address@hidden
Could it be that the message weas being held for moderation since you are
not a memeber of the mailing-list!

>  Although I
> will continue to attempt to resolve the problem,
> and check the archives for any responses to this, I
> would appreciate a direct reply to me at
> address@hidden
Sure thing!

>  (If that bounces (it should
> not, but people have told me it has), then a note
> to address@hidden would help me convince my
> ISP that there is a problem.))
OK!

> I came across xnee a few days ago, read a lot of
> the web site pages and the  xnee-devel archives ;-)
> (one recent post), I've downloaded, compiled,
> installed and played with version 1.07, and have
> some questions.
First of all, please use the latest version: 1.08

>  (I should  play longer / do more
> research, but I thought I'd try posting this to get
> a  response.)  Aside: I've been looking for a
> keyboard macro facility in X for several years
> now, some of my failures are discussed on
> http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/KeyboardMacrosInLinux
> , and my  (tilting at windmills style) musings on
> modifying the X server are at
> http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/KeyboardMacrosInX
> -- I'm hoping xnee  might be the "answer to a
> maiden's prayers".  Questions:   It seems rather
> slow (on a 700 MHz Duron with 512 MB, Knoppix 3.2,
> Kernel  2.4.20).
Hmm .. sounds strange. For me (using a PIII/600MHz) Xnee isn't slow at
all. I haven't heard this from others. Can you tell me how you use Xnee,
by
  1) sending me the command line
  2) sending over the log file generated by Xnee (using the -o option)

When using Xnee to replay a sessions I figure you use a tool to trigger
the replay (perhaps xkeymouse:)?

>  I also noticed that the parameter
> to set the playback speed (in %)   mentioned in
> what must be some old documentation doesn't work.
Works fine with me! However I will look into this and the other reports
after 5:th december). I will try to do it before but I can't promise
anything!

No.. already said that :)

>  Is it slower than
> the developers expected?
No reports so far on this! I don't know if anybody uses the option.

When testing Xnee I use swinput (look at savannah.gnu.org) and when
replaying a swinput-faked session using Xnee in replay mode I make sure
that Xnee is within 90%-110% of the time as when recorded. No problems
reported from the test scripts.
/hesa