Re: [Xlog-discussion] Multiple log quicky (0.6 beta 3)

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Multiple log quicky (0.6 beta 3)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:24:24 +0100

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:34:15 +0100
Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I stopped colorization of the callsigns in the log.
> > I noticed the logs load much faster, because I do not
> > have to set the color for every row.
>
> Too bad, it was cute when colorized. Maybe setting colors afterwards, once
> the log is totally loaded, can be much faster?

Setting the style is done before the main window appears. Either way,
going through every row of the log (nearly 1000 QSO's in my case) and
setting the style for every row, takes a lot of time. At the office,
where I have a pentium 200, the log takes about 3 seconds to appear.
No problem however, I will make colorization optional, so people
can decide if they want their logs fast or just cute ;-).

> > Stephane, I have started using your routines in logfile.h,
> > you might want to have a peek at the code to see if you
> > see anything odd. Most of it is in main.c, lines 274-345.
>
> Looks fine to me. I haven't tested again with old version files,
> but it looks like Byrn did it.

Last time I tested it, both 0.4 and 0.5 version logs were fine, as
was the new format. I will do some tests again to make sure.

> > There also is a compiler warning which I don't know how
> > to fix.
>
> fixed in the attached patch.

Thanks!

> About the TODO file:
> :Wishlist from Stephan, DL6RDR:
> :* Cabrillo import and export.
>
> Planned using lex & yacc. Otherwise, it would take ages, especially if
> you're a big contester (ie. huge files). ADIF will be done the same way.

Whoops, way to go! This powerfull lex and yacc stuff is still on my
wishlist to take a look at. Will be very interesting to see how
you are going to solve this!

> :* Comma seperated log import.
>
> Should be pretty easy. The only question to solve is to which field
> belong the columns?  Stephan, if you're reading this, do you have
> something in mind, like 'editest' output files?

Which brings up another issue: should we fire up the log editor
before an import, so people can decide how many fields the log
will have and what the fields names will be?

> :Stephane Fillod, F8CFE:
> :* Interface with text, db3 and SQL databases.
>
> db3 and SQL db left as an exercice for those who need it.

Sure thing. SQL would be interesting (and really fast I suppose),
great for big logs. Logs can reside on a different machine, which is
another benefit. But not before our TODO list is empty.

> :* Support more than one open log at a time.
>
> looks like we're already at it.
>
> :* Adif import and export (also cabrillo).
>
> yep (cf lex&yacc note). Besides file formats, importing and exporting
> would be quite useful.
> - Import: in the "Log" menu, there could be "Import as new...", and
>   also "Import and merge with current...". Both would let the operator
>   choose the log file format in the file chooser dialog box.

Okay, looks good.

> - Export: also in the "Log" menu, "Export to new file" with ability to
>   choose the log file format among supported ones, which is nothing
>   else but a kind of standard "Save as".
>   And also an "Export and merge with existing file". This last one is a
>   lot less easier to implement, and by the way, can be achieved with
>   previous functions.

Guess so. Looks complicated to me, but we can give it a try.

> Could this be done before the final release? The twlog import should come
> very soon (it's working already).
>
> Stupid question (yes, the answer should be in the source :)
> In which log is stored a remote QSO (through the msg queueing) ?
> Is it in the current log?

Yup, you guessed OK.

> Cheers
>  Stephane F8CFE