Re: [XForms] clock object with selector for show_seconds

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] clock object with selector for show_seconds
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:53:39 +0200

Hi Brian,

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:25:06PM -0400, Brian Tiffin wrote:
> I have a small patch to allow clock objects to set/reset show_seconds.
>
> Added a show_seconds field to the spec, and an
> fl_clock_set_show_seconds( obj, int show) (modeled on fl_set_clock_ampm
> function to clock.c, clock.h and forms.h.  Along with some spec derived
> if statements to control formatting the digital clock and skipping the
> second hand drawing in clock.c.
>
> Is this a worthy patch to send you Jens?

Yes, of course. Sounds reasonable to me and shouldn't intro-
duce any incompatibilities.

> I've become keen on using XForms with the GnuCOBOL project.  Once we get
> out 2.2 release out the door I'd like to take a kick at generating code
> from SCREEN SECTION in COBOL to replace ncurses TUI screens with XForms
> GUI screens (optionally by keyword in COBOL and depending on ./configure
> --with-xforms).  Maybe.  If the experiments keep succeeding as they have.
>
> I have a small intro building up in the GnuCOBOL discussion group at
> https://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/discussion/lounge/thread/a2ad7a19/

Sounds interesting! Just a warning in case you don't already know:
XForms is tightly bound to X11, so there's probably no chance of
ever using it on platforms that don't use X11 (e.g. Windows).

> Would you like the patch sent?  I'd need guidance on updating the doc
> set to include the fl_set_clock_show_seconds() function, or if you'd
> like a different name other than show_seconds, etc.

Yes, sent it over to me! I'm actually finished with preparations
for a new pre-release (that hopefully soon becomes a "real" new
release) but I guess your patch will be simple enough to include
at a late moment. Don't worry about the documentation, I guess I
can add that myself in a few minutes. The function name looks ok
to me.
                   Thank you and best regards, Jens