Re: [XForms] Clipboard copying is not UTF-8 aware

From: Bill Unruh
Subject: Re: [XForms] Clipboard copying is not UTF-8 aware
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 14:17:54 -0800 (PST)

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     address@hidden

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015, Рысь wrote:

Hello!

I watched XForms for a long time and waited for UTF-8 support in it,
because otherwise XForms is more saner.

Here is a bug I experienced while trying to port my program to XForms:

Entering Russian texts into XForms text edits works nice and I see
proper Russian glyphs. However when I try to copy text from the text
edits, I get a garbled characters in place where Russian text should be.

For example, I input: "тестtest", try to copy it with selecting
anything and I paste the contents with middle click in gtk2 program and
I get this: "Ñ?еÑ?Ñ?test". However when I paste it back to XForms I
get proper Russian text again.

Sounds to me like a bug in the gtk2 program, not displaying utf properly.
After all when you paste it back into xforms it displays properly. Ie, this
would seen to have nothing to do with xforms.

(Note my vi editor also obviously does not display utf8 properly either.
)

My clipboard agent shows same garbled characters when I copy non-ASCII
texts from XForms.

Is this a sign of misconfiguration or it's just a bug that should be
fixed?

--
http://lynxlynx.tk/
Power electronics made simple