Re: [XForms] Transient Windows

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] Transient Windows
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:10:35 +0100

Hi Serge,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 03:34:34PM -0500, Serge Bromow wrote:
> When I raise a pop up from a main form FL_FULLBORDER I usually make
> the pop up window a FL_TRANSIENT so it remains on top of the main
> form regardless of mouse focus. So far so good. If I try to raise
> another transient window from the first transient window then it may
> be hidden behind the calling window depending on location and mouse
> movement.
>
> Is there a way to order the transient windows to always be on top of
> the calling window? Maybe this is and X thing.

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't looked up all
the details! But if I remember correctly it's a window manager
thing how newly opened windows get stacked (where the amount
of decoration usually gets taken into account, windows with
less decorations tend to go to the top).

If you want to get a window to the top have you tried the
fl_raise_form() function (which just calls XRaiseWindow()
internally) after fl_show_form()? This might ensure that
the new window is on top even though its decorations (as
requested by FL_TRANSIENT) are the same as for the pre-
viously opened window.

Grepping through the sources indicates that only XRaise-
Window() and XLowerWindow() (from the fl_lower_window()
function) are used in XForms and none of the other func-
tions that influence the stacking order. So I guess every-
thing else is left to the mercy of the window manager and
no restacking is attempted by XForms itself anywhere.

                         Best regards, Jens