Re: [XForms] xforms & dual screen

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] xforms & dual screen
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:14:01 +0200

Hi Nick and Jens,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 03:39:33PM +0200, nick Nieuwkoop wrote:
> We are currently working on an application that needs to use dual
> screen. This application runs on a FreeBSD OS and uses XForms to
> create forms and show these. We have encountered a problem and we
> cannot show any form on the second screen. Is this possible with
> XForms or do we need some sort of work-around with X-Server or
> something else.. Is anybody using Xforms on a dual screen layout.
> Thanks in advance for your help. Please send reply to
> address@hidden as well. Many thanks in advance.

To be honest I have never had a dual-screen setup so I have also
no good idea how it's done and what has to considered for such
a setup. So take everything  write in the following with a big
grain of salt.

As far as I can see XForms opens a single display, if no '-display'
option is given and the 'DISPLAY' environment variable isn't set
it's alwys :0.0 (i.e. the first screen). All windows then get
opened on this display. So if you want all forms to be opened
on the secondary monitor you might have more luck when starting
the program with an option of '-display :0.1'. I don't see a way
to use both displays at once from a single XForms program when
the displays have different "names" (i..e :0.0 and :0.1) - I don't
even know if it's possible to move a window from one to the other
screen and I fear that, if it's possible, there could be some
issues with e.g. menus or popups coming up on the wrong screen
afterwards.

Could you send me a bit more of information what you can and
can't do? Also some information about your setup, what method
you are using etc. might be helpful. But I wouldn't be too
surprised if an XForms program would have problems using both
monitors at once...
                           Best regards, Jens