Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release

From: h . g . muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] new developer release
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 23:38:35 +0100

> should we change the menu then to "tournament..."?

Yes, we can do that. It is called 'Match' only for historic reasons,
because XBoard used to have a -matchMode, but could not do tournaments.
And in this dialog you could set the parameters for such a match (nr of
games, file with start positions/opening lines). The tournament capability
was added later, and this dialog was the natural place to put the extra
parameters needed for that, as you would need the old stuff it had for a
tournament as well.

In WinBoard the dialog was created only after the implementation of
tournaments, and there the corresponding menu item indeed says
'tournament...'.

The title of the dialog in XBoard says 'Match and Tournament options', btw.

In the Dutch translation I use partij, tweekamp and toernooi for game,
match and tournament, respectively. This is conventional Chess jargon: one
spoke about the 'Tweekamp Fischer-Spasski', and 'Het Hoogovens
Schaaktoernooi' (before Hoogovens were taken over by Tata Steel).