Re: [XBoard-devel] Cross compiling Winboard in Linux

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Cross compiling Winboard in Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:48:29 +0100

Haven't you talked about moving the ICS communication from the console to a window? If so this problem will disappear.

Indeed we have, and there is even a patch around in some side branch that does this in the Xt version. That was much more convenient, because it allowed us to give it focus, reposition and resize the window from the XBoard code, define context menus when you click on ICS output... All those niceties that WinBoard gives you, and XBoard not, but that I didn't know how to do when the ICS interaction window was a separate xterm window.

But what stopped us there was that the Athena widget set did not seem to allow selective colorization of text in ascii widgets, like we have in the xterm. Perhaps GTK does allow this, so we could re-instate that patch. And then of course we still have to do a lot more to bring it at the level of WinBoard.