Re: [XBoard-devel] xboard translation on its way

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] xboard translation on its way
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 00:28:09 -0700

Hi

> They have no usual crap such as terms of use or privacy policy. And
> they are little known. Does Mozilla use this service? Or GIMP? Or
> GOffice?

no, but a lot of GNU projects use it and when I scan the list of
software I do see a lot of prominent programs: bash, gcc, tar, texinfo,
sed and rpm for example... which on my list tops mozilla or GIMP ;)

> The idea is good per se. All the translations are in one
> place and another translator can be easily found when in need. But it
> should be easier to deal with them indeed! I'm not going to accept
> their weird requirements.

hmm, what weird requirements do you mean? Since xboard is a GNU project
for source code we like to get a copyright form signed... the
translation project actually has less requirements than that, since they
would like only a disclaimer... this involves printing one page, signing
and emailing/faxing it in... this makes sure that we can use the
translations without any problems in the future... it also doesn't seem
that much of an effort to me.

> What I've done it was a logical step because I said A by updating the
> old WinBoard translation and felt like I need to say B by translating
> XBoard as well. This requires my time and I don't mind if someone else
> takes over this task. Or you may use my translation if you want.

we would love to use your tranlation! I hope that you'll have another
look at the translation project and perhaps can coordinate with them...
and if you don't want to deal with them, I'm happy to act as a proxy.

cheers
       ARUN