Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Promotion and piece menus
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:06:53 -0600

On 4/7/2011 5:58 PM, Arun Persaud wrote:
... my problem with placing it on the board is
that the size might be an issue... I wouldn't like to have a big piece
there and if your board is not big to begin with, adding a piece
inbetween that is is say a quarter of a square might become tiny...
that's why I think it would be better to put it next to the notifiaction
area...

The reason I want them to appear on the board itself is to prevent confusion about the purpose. Thee only appear when legal, and their placement clarifies the move that will be made. I realize if the board is too small, there may not be room. I think that's unlikely to be a problem for people who are actually playing as opposed to watching, where I have a much smaller board. And if they do, just use the old mechanic. With today's large real estate monitors, I doubt anyone would be playing on a board w/out sufficient room.

Also, it is possible for promotion to occur two ways on the same square. So perhaps the buttons go on the relevant edge. In the following position, 4 promotions are possible, all indicated by the button placement. Arrows could be added for additional clarity. One shouldn't have to read a manual to use a chess interface.

(monospace font recommended)

+=======+=======+=======+
|       |       |       |
|       |Q     Q|       |