Re: [XBoard-devel] Internationalization proposition

From: A. Alper ATICI
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Internationalization proposition
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:48:39 +0200

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:59:56AM -0800, Tim Mann wrote:

> Alper, I appreciate you trying hard to use gettext for as much as
> possible because I said earlier that gettext is we're using.  However, I
> said that very early on, and I'm quite willing to go with whatever
> approach you and any others who work on the actual coding come to agree
> is most practical.

No I'm not trying hard, actually I don't try at all because I don't have
much time, but that's not the point here. What's significant is unkept
promises. For me, Winboard i18n is still on L.Boiko, this is what the list
archive reflects (show me a post that says "Ok, I give up, anybody to take
Winboard i18n?"). In the mean time, I followed the list and tried to make
comments hoping to help, but there's nothing. For a volunteer project,
I assume an open-archived list rather than private interpersonal mails
as authoritative means of correspondence, because this is not my job, and
I don't want to handle indecency when I donate my free time.

Maybe we should submit tasks in Savannah, set some deadlines, see who's
doing what...

> Daniel, your suggestion of using macros in the shared code that would
> expand to Windows internationalization stuff when compiled for WinBoard
> and gettext stuff when compiled for xboard seems like it could be
> workable.  It's something to look at if the other approaches that Alper
> is trying don't work out well.

I don't want to turn this into a rat race, or won't take part if one is
already set. OTOH, I have not received anything about using macros, so this
must be yet another private email stuff. There's no point announcing open
projects and soliciting worldwide contribution if you keep doing this,
people don't like to be fooled believe me.

> Guys, let's try to be polite even when we're arguing.

Ah, this must be for me. But I still think I've been overly polite, though.

--
A. Alper ATICI
PGP key: http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0xB824F550