[XBoard-devel] Re: Internationalization question

From: Tim Mann
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Re: Internationalization question
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:20:29 -0800

> I XBoard developper
>
> I'm a java developper at CRIM (Centre de Recherche Informatique de Montréal)
> and I have to make a french version of your Winboard + GNU CHESS game
> for the Colibris project (www.mille.ca). The objective of this project is to
> offert many french open source softwares to education community.

Some folks are working on internationalization of xboard/WinBoard, and
there is code for it checked into our CVS repository, but none of that
code is in any of the released versions.  I'm sure we could use a French
translator, though.  Could some of those who are working on this reply
to Carl and tell him how to get started?

> We will use your
> GNUChess 1.4.5 (or another if you suggest one) of your site on Windows and
> Linux.

There is no GNU Chess or xboard/WinBoard version 1.4.5, so I don't know
what you're referring to there.  The current version of xboard/WinBoard
is 4.2.7.  The last version of GNU Chess 4 (no longer under development)
was 4.0.80.  The current version of GNU Chess 5 is 5.07.

> My first question :
>
> I discover your GNUCHESS.LAN file. So I will add a french
> version of mine. This will be easy and I will send you the french version
> when I finish it. Is this ok for you ? This is an example :
>
> 010:eng:{Ambiguous Move!}
> 010:ger:{Zug nicht eindeutig!}
> 010:swe:{Tvetydigt drag!}
> 010:fre:{Mouvement ambigu !}

gnuchess.lan is the language file for GNU Chess 4 used in plain text
mode.  That is, if you run gnuchesr.exe from the command line, it uses
this file.  WinBoard and xboard do not use it at all.  GNU Chess 4 is no
longer under development, and people seldom run it without
xboard/WinBoard these days anyway, so adding new translations to
gnuchess.lan is not useful.  Sorry if you've wasted time on it.

> My second question :
>
> After the change in GNUCHESS.LAN, wath do I do to use the french version ?
> Cause I don't see a langage menu...
>
> Some hint could be helpfull.

If you run "gnuchesr -L fre" from a Windows command prompt box, that
should let you see what you did.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/