web-hurd

Re: Update to the GNU User's Guide

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: Update to the GNU User's Guide
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 06:37:30 -0500

[CCed to Tom Hart and gnu-system-discuss.]

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:11:30PM +0000, Trevor Vallender wrote:
> I've just written an update to the GNU User's Guide, the diff file is
> attached.

Thanks for doing that!

This guide is currently part of both the main Hurd repository and the
documentation of the HurdExtras project
<URL:http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/hurdextras>; the version from
the main Hurd repository seems to be augmented compared to the
HurdExtras's version.

Marcus and me suggest to move this guide to the GNU Packaging project
<URL:http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/packaging>, since the guide is more
about the GNU system w.r.t. installation and utilization than about the
Hurd itself.  Alfred, do you agree?

> This is the first contribution I have made, and the first time I have
> used much of this software, so my sincere apologies if I have made the
> diff file wrong or something. Please let me know if I need to change
> anything or do anything differently.

Posting the updated .texi file is enough since that's where all the other
files are generated from.

> I am also not sure as to whether I require copyright papers. Talking to
> Alfred Szmidt, he wasn't sure either, but said to send it anyway. If
> you could let me know, that would be great.

I was able to find the following:

Tom Hart on web-hurd, 2004-11-23
#v+
[...]

If Rob's interested in working on the User's Guide, he has my blessing
if he'd like to become the new maintainer. (Yours too, Matthew?) Neither
Matthew or I are currently doing any work on it.

As for copyright assignments, Gordon Matzigkeit signed his over to the
FSF, but copyrights on contributions by Thomas Bushnell, Matthew Grant,
and myself are currently held by their respective contributors.

Please keep CCing me if this discussion continues - I'm not subscribed
to this list anymore.
#v-

Regards,
 Thomas