Re: [vile] Here is the file which demonstrates the insert bug

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Here is the file which demonstrates the insert bug
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:24:41 +0100

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 04:52:29PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:32:57AM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > I have attached a file called "testBug", I get the bug I have
> > described if I simply delete the string (without quotes)
> > "http://home.isbd.net/gallery2/main.php"; and then re-enter it.  The
> > bug happens when you type the i of "main".
>
> It may depend on your settings - I did that with no problem (Linux,
> Debian/testing - tried locales en_US and en_US.UTF-8, used a plain
> "source vileinit.rc" .vilerc file).
>
> Typing 'n' makes it scroll right.

My .vilerc is attached.  All the above was happening running vile on a
remote system via ssh in a gnome-terminal window.  I'll try a few more
cases and see if it comes/goes.

'locale' returns:-
    LANG=en_GB.utf8
    LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf8
    LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_TIME="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_MONETARY="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_PAPER="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_NAME="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.utf8"
    LC_ALL=

> > It was originally happening when I pasted the string and I thought it
> > was something funny in the paste string but it happens when you just
> > type the string characer by character.
> >
> > This is happening when I'm editing in a gnome-terminal window, 80
> > characters wide.  I'm running vile 9.6k [ish].
>
> Is this on Solaris or Linux?  (The only obvious thing about platform
> would be byte-order, but reproducing the problem is the hard part).

The remote system where vile was running is:-

    Linux th-shell-1.gradwell.net 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5.centos.plus #1 SMP
    Wed Feb 13 07:47:55 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

As I said I'll try repeating it locally and in different terminal
windows etc.

--
Chris Green