tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Continuous integration ?

From: Robert de Vries
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Continuous integration ?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:46:46 +0100

Eric Noulard wrote:
2007/2/21, Stephane GALLES <address@hidden>:
> I really don't know if cruisecontrol is supposed to support this
> but seems to me more easy to obtain than a networked
> build server.
No, quite the contrary. It would be easier to obtain one single
continuous integration server, because one single server in enough
for all developpers.
More than one integration server is kind of meaningless.

For a Java code it may be true.
This is not quite true for TSP in C , since it should be able
to build:
- on Linux i386
- on Linux x86_64
- on Linux PPC (coming soon)
- on  VxWorks (some flavor)
- on Solaris at least Sparc version
- on Win32

You cannot (easily) achieve this with one box.

From my EuroSim experience I agree. I have 3 boxes (+some more coming) to test the following configurations:
1. Linux i386
   a. RedHat 7.3
   b. RedHat 8.0
   c. RedHat 9
   d. Fedora Core 1
   e. Fedora Core 2
   f. Fedora Core 3
   g. Fedora Core 4
   h. Fedora Core 5
   i. Fedora Core 6
   j. Suse Linux 9.1
   k. Suse Linux 9.2
   l. Debian 3.1
   m. RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 update 3
2. SGI IRIX 6.5
3. Win32 (Cygwin)

Obviously you need different boxes for different OS'es. (although you could run win32/cygwin on a VM) The linux box has over 10 distributions installed (vanilla) to which I can chroot (root privileges required). In the chroot environment I can run the automated build, install and test. I do this from an automated cron job every night. In the morning I receive a nice little report that tells me for which distributions which step/test failed, so that I can fix it the day after I broke it. This has obvious advantages as it is much easier to remember what kind of changes you made yesterday than a week or a month ago.

If someone provides some scripts I am willing to host automated regression tests on the above mentioned platforms.

   Robert

--
Robert H. de Vries      mailto:address@hidden
AS&E/SW                     http://www.eurosim.nl