tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Re: Notes from HB9OK

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Re: Notes from HB9OK
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 19:50:55 -0600

* rein couperus PA0R <address@hidden> [2003 Oct 30 18:57 -0600]:

> TERM=xterm for an xterm  The xterm gives you funny colours, I have not found
> out how to do this properly. Best bet is rxvt.

If I recall, I had to add this to where ever you put your app defaults
for XTerm:

! Enable Colour by default.

*VT100*colorMode: on
*VT100*boldColors: on
*VT100*dynamicColors: on

! Uncomment this use color for underline attribute
!*VT100*colorULMode: on
!*VT100*underLine: off

! Uncomment this to use color for the bold attribute
!*VT100*colorBDMode: on

! Uncomment this to use the bold/underline colors in preference to other
colors
!*VT100*colorAttrMode: on

*VT100*color0: black
*VT100*color1: red3
*VT100*color2: green3
*VT100*color3: yellow3
*VT100*color4: blue3
*VT100*color5: magenta3
*VT100*color6: cyan3
*VT100*color7: gray90
*VT100*color8: gray30
*VT100*color9: red
*VT100*color10: green
*VT100*color11: yellow
*VT100*color12: blue
*VT100*color13: magenta
*VT100*color14: cyan
*VT100*color15: white
*VT100*colorUL: yellow
*VT100*colorBD: white

The result is color handling that doesn't differ from RXVT unless I run
tlf!  I am running Debian and they split the above out of
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm into XTerm-color around late 2000
and early 2001.  I'm not sure if that change came from Debian or XFree.

> I could of course make the colours variable, so you can choose from the 8
> standard colours. This is planned for the complete overhaul (C -> C++)
> planned for this winter.

Configurable colors shouldn't be too hard, the only problem is getting
the wacky default XTerm colors corrected.

Exactly how will transitioning from C to C++ affect the ability to wwork
up a customized UI for TLF as we discussed breifly last summer.  At this
time I've taught myself some C, but not C++.  OO doesn't sound too
inviting...

> BTW, I think the present colour scheme is about optimal...

Actually... Oh, nevermind!

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | address@hidden               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org