tiger-user

[Tiger-user] Issue with Generating and Checking Signatures with Debian T

From: Doug Peterson
Subject: [Tiger-user] Issue with Generating and Checking Signatures with Debian Tiger
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 19:39:07 -0400

I was having some problems generating new signatures and then with
checking signatures after upgrading to Debian Etch.  I ended up modifying
three files to get it all to work.

The first thing was that /usr/lib/tiger/scripts/mksig was failing.  However,
the
change that was needed was in /usr/lib/tiger/util/gethostinfo.  There was a
comment there about the uname -a format possibly being different.  This
turned out to be the case and the change was:

110c110
<               printf("Linux %s %s\n",$3, $12);
---
>               printf("Linux %s %s\n",$3, $11);

/usr/lib/tiger/scripts/mksig now worked.  The next thing is that
/usr/lib/tiger/util/installsig had problems.  The issue was in do_siggen() in
/usr/lib/tiger/config.  This function switched its working directory but
installsig
was using relative paths.  I ended up adding BASEDIR in two places and
removing a redundant "dir" line.

153c153
<   dir="systems/$DEST"
---
>   dir="$BASEDIR/systems/$DEST"
155,156c155
<   if [ -f "systems/$CONFIG/config" ]; then
<     dir="systems/$DEST"
---
>   if [ -f "$BASEDIR/systems/$CONFIG/config" ]; then

The last issue was in checking the signatures.
/usr/lib/tiger/scripts/check_signatures did not create the std_signature
correctly so all the comparisons failed.  The extra space between $p1 and
$p2 was needed.

92,93c92,93
<           std_signature="$p1"
<           comment="$p2 $p3 $p4 $p5 $p6 $p7 $p8 $comment"
---
>           std_signature="$p1  $p2"
>           comment="$p3 $p4 $p5 $p6 $p7 $p8 $comment"

There was a second problem in do_siggen().  The second part is to
generate a new file_access_list.  It failed because it could not find
/usr/lib/tiger/utl/facl.lst and /usr/lib/tiger/util/facl.tmpl.  I found these
in a full
distribution and added them to mine.

Thank you,

Doug Peterson