therion-users

Re: [Therion] Surveying Maze Caves

From: Martin Sluka
Subject: Re: [Therion] Surveying Maze Caves
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 17:48:36 +0100

Hi Johny,

there are several tricks for very mazy caves:

1. make short scraps

2. try not to join scraps where passages are joining

3. join named lines (with ID)

4. you may join not only ends of lines. You may use any line point of
any object not only wall. If a passage begins among blocks you may
join the beginning of passage walls to blocks line points so they
will be transformed together.

for example:

join ms3_S1_2:32 js1_S1_2:3

where ms3_S1_2:32 means 32. line point from beginning of line
ms3_S1_2 and js1_S1_2:3 means 3. line point from beginning of line
js1_S1_2

5. use transparent pits, overhangs, steps, - check examples on wiki.

line overhang -outline in -clip off

line pit -close on -outline in -clip off

6. use invisible lines if necessary

line border -visibility off -outline in

7. very important if you want to generate an atlas - you should
organize the structure of maps according to atlas pages and under and
over laying passages.
for example:

survey xxxxx

map hlavny_tah.m
   js2_S1
   mb1b_s1
   mb1a_s1
   mb2_s1
   ms1_S1
   ms2_S1
   ms2_S2
   break
   ms2_S3
   break
   ms2_S4
   ph1_S1
   ph1_S2
   ph1_S3
   ph1_S4
   ph1_S5
   ph1_S6
   ph1_S7
   ph1_S8
   js1_S1
   ph3_S6
   ph2_S1

   preview above duhovy_dom.m
   preview above ph_vrchna_chodba.m
   preview above kralova_chodba.m
   preview below ph_spodne_chodby.m
endmap

map medzibrodie.m
    js4_S1

    preview below duhovy_dom.m
    preview below hlavny_tah.m
endmap

map duhovy_dom.m
   js3_S1

   preview below hlavny_tah.m
   preview above medzibrodie.m
endmap

map kralova_chodba.m
   ms3_S1
   break
   ms3_S2

   preview below hlavny_tah.m
endmap

map ph_vrchna_chodba.m
   ph3_S1
   ph3_S2
   ph4_S2
   break
   ph4_S1
   break
   ph4_S3

   preview below hlavny_tah.m
   preview below ph_spodne_chodby.m

endmap

map ph_spodne_chodby.m
   ph3_S5
   ph3_S3
   break
   ph3_S4
   ph4_S4
   break
   ph4_S5
   ph4_S6
   break
   ph4_S7
   ph2_S2
   break
   ph2_S3

   preview above ph_vrchna_chodba.m
   preview above hlavny_tah.m

endmap

map klisura_a -title "Great Canyon<br>Gryka e Madhe<br>Velika Klisura"
medzibrodie.m
duhovy_dom.m
kralova_chodba.m
ph_vrchna_chodba.m