Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Improved facilities for benchmarking

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Improved facilities for benchmarking
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 12:50:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> > Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Timing ] Task 'typeset' took 10626 ms
> > > Timing ] Task 'find font' took 9176 ms (72
>
> This is meant to be a reply to Joris...not David.
>
> This is really strange to me.  I really cannot belive it.  On my
> computer (TeXmacs compiled non-optimized and with debug symbols), it
> generates the complete User Manual in about 90 seconds.  Does it mean
> that if we fix find_font() this time could be reduced to just 90 -
> 9176/10626 * 90 = 12 seconds?????

No, unfortunately not; my timings basically show that for a moderate
size mathematical article (28 pages in this case) which uses lots
of fonts (70 here), TeXmacs essentially spends its time on searching
fonts (not even loading them!) when loading the article.
In the case of the manual, we would probably be able to spare
between 10 and 20 seconds when using a better implementation.

> I don't have the TeXmacs sources handy but if all find_font does is
> return the path to the font file.  We can then temporarity put all the
> font paths in an STL vector for all possible inputs values.  This will
> uickly tell us how much time we would save by fixing find_font.

That is what I plan to do, but we should also cache these locations
in a special file.