[Texmacs-dev] Different versions of Guile

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Different versions of Guile
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:18:03 +0200 (CEST)

I did some further benchmarking for Guile on my 2.4GHz Athlon.
I booted TeXmacs 5 times and took mean values.

                initialize plug-ins     initialize guile
Guile 1.3.4     512 ms                  1666 ms
Guile 1.6.4     514 ms                  1558 ms

In seems that Guile got marginally better. It would be interesting
to make benchmarks for the development Guile, since the hash-tables
should be essentially faster in that version, but I was unable to
compile the CVS tree in a reasonable amount of time (I probably need
to update automake, autoconf, etc.; it is irritating that they do
not ship a working configure script).

TeXmacs is extremely slow when booting it for the first time after
turning on the computer, but acceptably fast afterwards. What can
we do in order to reduce the initial boot time?